3.17.2009

new mexico

Today is the first day of my trip to New Mexico to visit the Very Large Array, one of the largest radio telescope arrays in the world! The trip begins in a Timmy Ho's in Vancouver International, pauses for a brief interlude in Los Angeles, and finishes in the desert of New Mexico. From the stars of Hollywood North, to the stars of Hollywood, to the stars for the rest of humanity.

To be honest, I have no idea what to expect. No doubt I will be impressed as hell when I stand underneath one of the massive 25 metre-diameter dishes. I'm sure my sense of boyhood wonder will be awoken from its slumber, rub it's clear blue eyes and just stare. Like most things in life though, this is ephemeral, and the regular hue of melancholic ocean-blue will return to those eyes. For that moment, my mind will soar through the heavens, paying no heed to the rigid laws of physics that keep me where I am: on the ground but not grounded.

A bit of positivity is warranted though. After all, there's nothing like travelling through the stars to help lift your feet off the ground.

0 comments: